The UAMS Palliative Care Team sees patients in the hospital at the request of the patient’s hospital physician. The Palliative Care Team consists of physicians, APRNs, a nurse coordinator, social worker and chaplain. A palliative care physician is on-call 24 hrs/day, 7 days/week, and consults may be seen anywhere in the hospital.
Our team can assist with:
- Treating pain and other distressing symptoms
- Goals of care discussions
- Advance care planning
- Coordination of care after hospital discharge
- Hospice referrals
- End of life care
Palliative Care Clinic – Cancer Institute
At the UAMS Winthrop P. Rockefeller Cancer Institute, the goal of our Palliative Care Clinic is to help you live as well as possible while facing a serious or life-threatening illness.
Palliative care focuses on the whole person: body, mind and spirit. Our team of professionals offers care at any stage of your illness, including at the end of life. We aim to provide comfort and preserve your dignity, help you achieve open communication with your family and caregivers, and we offer care that enhances the quality of your life.
By working with you, your cancer treatment team and health care providers in your community, we blend palliative care into your cancer therapy.
- Expert treatment and monitoring of pain and other symptoms, including nausea, breathing difficulties, anxiety and difficulty sleeping
- Emotional and spiritual support for you and your family that can include support from a chaplain or behavioral medicine specialist
- Excellent communication and compassionate care, encouraging an open dialogue between patient, family and medical team
- Help in navigating the health care system
- Help in coordinating care, including hospice, at home and in the community, and help coordinating symptom management and psychosocial support plans with community resources