Medical School: University of the West Indies, Mona campus in Jamaica
Residency: Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine; Hospitalist for 3.5 years; during this time did some health care administration directed group at 2 hospitals before starting fellowship.
Career Interests: Electrophysiology and complex ablations; will start EP fellowship at Tufts Medical Center in Boston; looking for a practice which will encourage continual career development; will also try to help develop cardiac electrophysiology in Caribbean.
Research Interests: Sudden cardiac death in non-ischemic cardiomyopathies; novel risk factors and therapies; also have interest in biomedical device design, plan to explore more in Boston.
Hobbies: Music, formally played clarinet with Barbados chamber orchestra and piano as a soloist; mainly I like classical, jazz and old school reggae; various genres, currently classic rock from 70’s 80’s; scuba diving – achieved level of master diver while diving with dive club at university where I would do probably 20 dives a month; have done deep diving, cave diving wreck diving wall diving; still dive annually while on vacation.
Other Things: Skiing and traveling – I like technology, interest is in tech which strongly impacts everyday life but is easy to use (not technical!). Biggest is family and friends – I spend a lot of time with my family daily, sometimes challenging, but it’s where I have had my greatest rewards in life.
- Hakeem A, Edupuganti M, Almomani A, Pothineni N, Payne J, Abualsoud A, Bhatti S, Ahmed Z, Uretsky B. Long term prognosis of deferred acute coronary syndrome lesions based on non-ischemic fractional flow reserve. Journal of American Collage of Cardiology (JACC). 2016 Sep 13;68(11):1181-91
- Agarwal S, Pothineni NV, Payne J, Vallurupalli S, Uretsky BF. Left ventricular thrombus and Takotsubo cardiomyopathy in a patient receiving electroconvulsive therapy: Case report and literature review. Curr Res Cardiol 2015;2(4):202-204.
- Nairooz R, Ayoub K, Sardar P, Payne J, Almomani A, Pothineni NV, Shailesh F, Aronow WS, Mukherjee D. Uninterrupted new oral anticoagulants compared to uninterrupted Vitamin K antagonists in ablation of atrial fibrillation, A Meta-analysis. Canadian Journal of Cardiology. 2015; (15):1437-3.
- Nairooz R, Sardar P, Payne J, Aronow WS, Paydak H. Meta-analysis of major bleeding with uninterrupted warfarin compared to interrupted warfarin and heparin bridging in ablation of atrial fibrillation. Int J Cardiol. 2015;187:426-9.
- Mahapatra S, LaPar DJ, Kamath S, Payne J, Bilchick KC, Mangrum JM, Alawadi G. Initial Experience of Sequential Surgical Epicardial-Catheter Endocardial Ablation for Persistent and Long-Standing Persistent Atrial Fibrillation With Long-Term Follow-Up. Ann Thorac Surg 2011;91:1890–8.
- Payne J, Sharma S, De Leon D, Lu JL, Alemu F, Balogun RA, et al. Association of echocardiographic abnormalities with mortality in men with non-dialysis-dependent chronic kidney disease. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2012; 27(2):694.
- Sharma S, Payne J, Wild M. Herpes simplex pneumonia in an immunocompetent male. Southern Medical Journal. 2008; 101(8):866-866.
- Pothineni N, Almomani A, Payne J, Edupuganti M, Agarwal S, Raina S, Shailesh F, Kasula S, Bhatti S, Uretsky B, Hakeem A. Comparison of the Prognostic Value of Non-ischemic FFR (>0.80) Using Intracoronary versus Intravenous Adenosine. American College of Cardiology (ACC) Annual Scientific Session & Expo 2016.
- Payne J, Agarwal S, Edupuganti M, Pothineni N, Almomani A, Bhatti S, Uretsky B, Hakeem A. Temporal Changes in Fractional Flow Reserve in Initially Deferred Vessels in Symptomatic Patients. American College of Cardiology (ACC) Annual Scientific Session & Expo 2016.
- Edupuganti M, Pothineni N, Payne J, Almomani A, Uretsky B, Ahmed Z, Hakeem A. Factors Adversely Impacting the Prognostic Value of Non-Ischemic Fractional Flow Reserve. American College of Cardiology (ACC) Annual Scientific Session & Expo 2016.
- Agarwal S, Edupuganti M, Almomani A, Pothineni N, Payne J, Kasula S, Raina S, Shailesh F, Uretsky B, Hakeem A. Clinical Decision Making for the Hemodynamic Gray Zone (FFR 0.75-0.80) and Impact on Long Term Outcomes. American College of Cardiology (ACC) Annual Scientific Session & Expo 2016.
- Agarwal S, Raina S, Edupuganti M, Almomani A, Payne J, Pothineni N, Shailesh F, Kasula S, Bhatti S, Ahmed Z, Uretsky B, Hakeem A. Predictive Accuracy of Resting Gradient (pd/pa) for Identifying Ischemic Coronary Lesions. American College of Cardiology (ACC) Annual Scientific Session & Expo 2016.
- Deleon D, Alemu F, Payne J, Rathore S, Bentley M, Ball T. The Effect Of Adding Clopidogrel Or Warfarin To The Gold Standard, Aspirin, On The Rate Of Repeat Coronary Angiography And Early Saphenous Vein Graft Failure. American College of Cardiology (ACC) Annual Scientific Session & Expo 2015.