Outpatient Clinics and Inpatient Consult Service
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS)
- 400-bed adult hospital
- The major secondary and tertiary referral center in the state of Arkansas
- Endocrine clinics located in the Outpatient Center building
- Strong presence of all divisions within the School of Medicine
Central Arkansas Veteran’s Healthcare System (CAVHS)
- 297 beds in the Little Rock division, 357 beds in the North Little Rock division
- Diabetes and thyroid disorders
- Designated referral center for VA facilities in Arkansas
Arkansas Children’s Hospital (ACH)
- 260 beds
- Child and adolescent care
- Two thyroid nodule consulting and thyroid biopsy clinics
- Two general endocrinology clinics that include pituitary, adrenal, gonadal, and thyroid disorders
- One insulin pump and continuous glucose monitoring clinics
- One osteoporosis and metabolic bone diseases clinic
One metabolic bone diseases clinic:
- Fellows will learn the fundamentals of duel-energy X-ray absorptiometry and vertebral morphometry assessment determinations and observe the procedures in the Bone Density Lab. Dr. Weinstein will instruct the fellows on bone mineral density (BMD) quality control, interpretation of findings and recognition of pitfalls. Instruction will include how to determine the BMD testing interval and recommend diagnostic and therapeutic advice to the referring physician.
Two weight control clinics:
- This clinic offers detailed experience in obesity management and associated co-morbidities such as pre-diabetes, the metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes, hypertension and dyslipidemias.We have comprehensive classes for our participants on behavior modification, nutrition and weight maintenance which participant will be able to observe.
- By the end of this clinic rotation all trainees will have the opportunity in managing care in a weight control clinic gaining expertise in the use of very low calorie diets.
- This well-established program is able to offer very low calorie diets specifically utilizing an 800kcal regime and participants will gain extensive experience of the management of obesity with this well validated approach. Experience will include how to manage multiple medications including insulin therapy in patients following very low calorie diets.
CAVHS and UAMS
- One continuity clinic (1/2 outpatient at CAVHS for junior and senior fellows, 1/2 outpatient clinic at UAMS for senior fellows)
Additional Clinical Training Opportunities
- Pediatric endocrine clinic at ACH
- Reproductive endocrinology clinic experience
- Maternal fetal medicine clinic for diabetes in pregnancy
- Division of Nuclear Medicine (Dept. of Radiology) on the nuclear medicine techniques
- Department of Ophthalmology (diabetic retinopathy)
INPATIENT CONSULTING SERVICE
- There is one endocrine inpatient consulting service that covers both UAMS and CAVHS. Each fellow covers the inpatient service on 15 day blocks for a total of 3 months during the year.