- The Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism occupies approximately 20,000 square feet of modern laboratory and office space at the UAMS Arkansas Cancer Research Center (ACRC) and Central Arkansas Veteran’s HealthCare System (CAVHS).
- The UAMS Translational Research Institute (TRI) provides resources to ensure the swift translation of research into health care advances. Established in 2009 and supported by the National Institutes of Health National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (NCATS), TRI is a member of NCATS’ Clinical and Translational Science Award (CTSA) program. TRI’s goals include moving health science discoveries more quickly and efficiently into practice. This concept is often summarized by the phrases “bench-to-bedside” and “bedside-to-community” research. TRI provides timely access to research resources, including consultations, training and funding opportunities for both clinical and community-based investigators. http://tri.uams.edu/
- TRI has number of free learning opportunities that are always announced on the webpage and included on the calendar. These include everything from seminars on the latest clinical/research trends to very specific trainings on conducting good research practices. http://tri.uams.edu/news/
The activities of the Division encompass both clinical and basic research and range widely from studies in molecular biology, cell biology, and biochemistry, to clinical trials. Research fields in which the Division has particular expertise are:
- Bone and Mineral Metabolism
- Healthcare delivery and outcomes
- Thyroid disorders
- Lipid Metabolism
- Course work in molecular biology and other disciplines relevant to the fellow’s Research can be arranged.
At present, the research activities of the Division are supported by several nationally funded grants (approximately $2 million per year). Major resources include:
- Center for Osteoporosis and Metabolic Bone Diseases
- CAVHS Diabetes Firm
- General Endocrine/Diabetes Clinics
- Support is also provided by the Central Arkansas Veteran’s HealthCare System.